Thursday, March 15, 2007

The sleepy Beijing night awoke in the morning to be a sea of humanity and vehicles. My eyes half cocked and a growling belly we set forth to the bus station to take a local bus to the Great wall. Nieves command of the Mandarin is a life saving asset, she took us to the street vendors for breakfast where we ate ping a egg mixed pancake for 30 cents tasty if you like an egg with salt. Charles a friend of Nieves and Carolinas who attend my wedding who got my cake last night met us at the bus depot with Ruby his girlfriend and another girl.
We hoped a bus and headed to the Great wall. Castillo don’t do buses and this ride confirmed my distaste for the form of transport. Out the window construction on a scale of post WW2 Europe doted the landscape, train lines, highways, and high rises being built as for as the eye can see. We got off the bus and Charles who’s mandarin is very impressive haggled a illegal van taxi to drive us the rest of the way to the Wall, a hour and fifteen minute drive round trip for twenty bucks.

A ski lift ride up I was standing on The Great Wall; it is as impressive as you would think. Mao said He who has not climbed the great wall is not a true man. I am glad at thirty-one I am now a man, I need a beer. Charles haggled with a bunch of beer selling old ladies sitting on the wall Cheers!! Hiking up the step stairs we pushed past the rehabilited part of the wall to the none tourist old remnants parts. Hanging out on the wall for several ours we slowly and carefully head back. To get back to the van we took sleds down yes sleds it was Action adventure with out the decapitations.

The two-hour van/bus ride back went quickly with my newfound narcolepsy. Off the bus to a duck dinner, amazing duck skin dipped in sugar tasty way to disguise salt.

Drifting off to sleep in my 31st year of reign

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home